The emergence of web 2.0 distinguishes an increase in user-generated content, which contributes to a growing culture of ‘prosumption’ online. Social media, throughout today’s technological society, has developed into an integral element of our social order, and thanks to online platforms such as Facebook and Instagram, this form of new media has allowed for individuals to generate an ‘online identity’ by which they construct themselves in order for themselves to be constructed by others. Social media platforms have capitalized owing to the rise of a prosumer culture, as their success would be inexistent if it weren’t due to the ongoing production and consumption of user-generated content and identities. In terms of my own personal experience, I would argue that my contributions to online media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram have added to the ongoing success of these respective websites. I am frequently updating my online profile on Facebook and uploading photos to Instagram, all of which are a factor in producing my online identity. We are currently living in a world which is dominated by free services, and due to this, the ongoing success of social media platforms and websites now rely profoundly on user participation and contribution.
Another norm which has come into view with the emergence of a prosumer
culture is the idea of the ‘duty of the citizen’ (Ritzer, 2005, pg.16). Tapscott
& Williams (2006 – cited in Ritzer & Jurgunsen), have expanded on this
idea by noting that prosumers are ‘part of a new wave of acceleration where
businesses put consumers to work.’ This is exemplified in the ideas of major
food chains to cut costs by putting the consumer to work; in expecting the
customer to collect their own food, go to the register to place their own
order, and clear their own rubbish from their table. Other examples of
industries that are introducing the ‘self serve’ module are supermarket chains
such as Woolworths and Coles, in terms of their self-scan grocery checkouts,
and self-print photography outlets such as Kmart and Officeworks. In my personal
opinion, I feel that these ‘self-serve’ checkouts are a relevant case in point example
of the dominating prosumer culture, and how our already technology driven world
is expanding. These recent innovations have changed the way that we the
consumer, or ‘prosumer’ conduct our weekly shopping or dining rituals, and has
resulted in a considerably high number of job losses, as their positions have
seemingly been made redundant.
Image source: Open revolt
Sources:
Ritzer, George & Jurgenson, Nathan, (2010); ‘Production,
Consumption, Prosumption: The nature of capitalism in the age of the digital
‘prosumer’, Journal of Consumer Culture, Sage
Publications vol. 10 no. 1, pp. 13 – 36 (accessed on 25th August,
2013)


Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYour post was well structured as it was an easy to read piece that flowed. I liked your comparison of the prosumer culture of life vs Web 2.0 as you used examples and these were backed up by your own opinions. Your piece started well giving a definition of the prosumer and that the consumer and producer’s lines are becoming blurred. You set the piece up to give an understanding to the readers of the capitalist history, which helped back up points made further along in the piece.
Thanks for the read!
Hi Lauren
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my blog post! First off, I liked how you introduced the topic by stating the definition from the weekly readings and how easily each paragraph flowed from one another. In terms of your web 2.0 argument I liked your use of examples especially your own personal use of social networking sites.
In terms of a critical perspective, I do argue whether the use of these sites are actually 'free' as in exchange they are collecting information from us which allows for personalized advertisements to be marketed on our news feed such as online shopping sites. (as I am an avid online shopaholic!) I agree with you that prosumption can lead to job losses such as those seen in the food industry but it can also lead to more innovative marketing from the company but unfortunately at the expense of the employee.
Overall, your blog post made me question whether prosumption is really in the best interest of the company's workers and your tone of voice when giving your own personal opinion. Thanks for the interesting read!
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYou're blog post on prosumption was an interesting read as you brought up relevant ideas and concepts that relate to our culture today globally. The use of social media is so renowned throughout the world that its hard not to be involved in the growing phenonmenon!.
With the increase in media platforms and upgrading of technology its hard not to be a prosumer with social media being an exceptionally easy way to produce and consume content over the internet.
I agree with your discussion on social media and how it forms people 'online identity'.
Great read!,
Prue McIntyre
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletethis blog post is great. you have used extra resources which is good to see, you have explained the concepts well and your personal relation to the blog is present. such great examples about the self serve at super markets! such a subtle, but very important example of how we are prosumers in something as simple as when we buy our groceries. social media is definitey a great example to use also. A good idea would have been to break up the paragraphs a little bit more as I found it hard to follow. Also, a personal experice of you engaging with the topic would have been fun to read. without even realising, we are all prosumers when we use something like facebook. and all we're doing is having fun! Great work :)
ReplyDeleteHey There! I really liked reading your post on prosumerism. I thought you gave a very detailed and clear definition of what it means to be a prosumer and it was easy to understand. You answered the topic for the week really well by stating how you are a prosumer both online and in real life. I thought your writing was really original and you incorporated the reading nicely. Your images were good, but I though you could have maybe benefited by having one more to break up all of your text. Overall I really enjoyed reading your post and was very impressed.
ReplyDeleteI found your post well written and flowed effortlessly throughout the blog. I agree with your viewpoint that we are all in some way or another prosumers, and I personally find it hard to avoid being a prosumer when we have to face technological advancements. I found your example of web 2.0 contributing to the growth of presumption very intriguing. Your piece also defined the concept of presumption very well, although I would have liked to see more academic references other than Ritzer.
ReplyDeleteStill this was an interesting read, Thanks for the great post!
I thought this was an effective piece. I felt like you not only read and understood the readings for the week, but were able to accurately portray those understandings to us, your blog tragics. This would be a perfect piece to use for your lengthier final assessment, as I feel it touches so well on all of the criteria. I liked the connection of self-serve checkouts to pro-suming, as it is something that had not occurred to me before. I’m unsure whether the McDonalds picture quite encapsulates your point, as I think it is referring to the food chain destroying the earth, but regardless it was a beautifully written piece and it was set out well.
ReplyDeleteA thoroughly thought out and well written blog piece. I really enjoyed your explanation of how web 2.0 has contributed to the growth of presumption. Even though I have read the readings, if someone stumbled upon your blog who was unaware of the presumption theory, the way you have explained it in your blog would make it very easy for them to understand. I also suggest you use this topic for your final essay!
ReplyDelete